Director of Development—Vashon Center for the Arts
Serving as a member of VCA’s senior staff reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will oversee the creation and implementation of fully integrated strategies to raise annual operating support from a variety of sources including individuals, foundations, corporations, government, and special events. In addition to annual support, the Director will collaborate with the Executive Director and the VCA Board to plan an Endowment Campaign for the organization and the Capital Campaign to renovate the historic Blue Heron building on the VCA campus. The Director of Development will serve as the manager for both fundraising campaigns, recruit a Campaign Committee consisting of Board and community volunteers, provide fundraising training, and be responsible for meeting campaign financial goals.
The Development Director collaborates with the Executive Director in strategizing all fundraising initiatives. The Development Director works with other staff as appropriate, outside vendors, the VCA board, and special event fundraising committees. S/he is a key partner to assist the Executive Director to develop and steward strong relationships with key donors and in steering board related fundraising activities.
The Director of Development plays a critical role in the fulfillment of VCA’s mission, sustainability and on-going success and is a visible representative of VCA to the community and to all potential funding sources. S/he has the ability to work professionally, collegially and effectively with all donors, constituents, colleagues and the general public. S/he has the ability to work independently, problem solve, take initiative and handle multiple projects and deadlines in an organized and professional manner.
- Manage on-going annual fundraising activities as well as the endowment and capital campaigns.
- Oversee the annual development budget and the endowment/capital campaign budget.
- Grow the major donor program and increase the number of annual donors and identify, cultivate and solicit major gifts to all campaigns.
- Strategize, develop, and maintain donor relationships at all levels.
- Be responsible for preparing, submitting and tracking all grant proposals, grant reporting, and oversee grant writing by an outside vendor or internal staff.
- Develop a partnership with each Board member to strengthen Trustee confidence as fundraisers and active stewards of donors.
- Serve in a leadership role in all fundraising special events. Manage any outside vendors. Develop and manage each event budget.
- Collaborate with marketing and other staff to coordinate messaging and content for all fundraising efforts.
- Manage and solicit sponsorships for VCA events and programs.
- Update the membership program to increase the number of annual memberships by 50% in the next two-three years.
- Work with the Executive Director and Administrative staff to identify and implement new database software.
- Represent Development staff at board meetings and all relevant board committees
- Oversee event fundraising staff as needed.
- Manage Development staff.
Experience working with arts organizations or other non-profit organizations; a minimum of five years in the development profession; a demonstrated ability to deliver results; experience with comprehensive annual fundraising donor channels; capital and/or endowment experience; knowledge of and success with local and national granting organizations; a demonstrated ability to build trust-based relationships with key donors, volunteers and staff and motivate them to participate in fundraising initiatives.
The position requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create compelling written and oral communications.
Vashon resident preferred. Must have the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and donor development software required.
A Bachelor’s degree is required and a Masters’ degree is preferred in an arts or non-profit field.
Benefit package includes participation in group health/dental plan, vacation time, personal time and paid holidays. Salary is DOE.
Please send cover letter and resume to Angela@vashoncenterforthearts.org
No phone calls or in-person visits please.